Healthcare Institution Statistics

Introduction to Healthcare Institution Statistics
 

In Singapore, 80% of the primary healthcare services are provided by private practitioners while the government polyclinics provide the remaining 20%. However, the opposite is true for more costly hospitalisation care, whereby 80% of it is provided by the public sector and 20% by the private sector.

In 2014, there were a total of 11,230 hospital beds in the 26 hospitals and specialty centres in Singapore. The 8 public hospitals comprise 6 acute general hospitals (SGH, NUH, CGH, TTSH, KTPH & AH), a women's and children's hospital (KKH) and a psychiatry hospital (IMH). In 2015, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital (NTFGH) opened with effect from 30 June 2015.

As of 2014, Singapore had a total of 11,733 doctors in its healthcare delivery system. This gives a doctor to population ratio of 1:470. The nurse (including midwives) to population ratio is 1:150, with a total of 37,618 nurses. There are 1,905 dentists, giving a ratio of 1 dentist to 2,870 people.

 

Return to Top