FAQs on the COVID-19 Situation

Last updated 3 Apr 2020

Expand All | Collapse All

General Information about COVID-19 Situation


What are Coronaviruses?


Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses causing illnesses ranging from the common cold to pneumonia (a more severe lung infection). A new coronavirus strain has been identified in Wuhan, China. Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19) has caused cases of severe pneumonia in China and cases have been exported to other countries and cities.


How does COVID-19 spread?


There is human-to-human transmission of COVID-19. For now, the evidence suggests spread is mostly via droplets. The virus is carried within droplets emitted from an infected person over a short distance, such as when the person coughs or sneezes. If these droplets come into contact with the eyes, nose or mouth of another person, directly or indirectly through hands that have come into contact with these droplets, the other person may become infected. Members of public are advised to remain vigilant and observe good personal hygiene practices.

MOH is closely monitoring the evolving situation and members of public are advised to check the MOH website for updates.


What are the symptoms of COVID-19?


The symptoms of COVID-19 infection are similar to that of regular pneumonia. Typical symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.


What is the treatment for COVID-19?


Supportive treatment is provided based on the patient’s clinical condition. No proven specific treatment or anti-viral drug for COVID-19 is currently available.


Is the disease deadly? How is this compared to SARS?


The situation is evolving and many characteristics of the virus and how it may affect people are still unclear. However, current information suggests COVID-19 can cause severe disease and death in 2% to 3% of people with the infection, especially among the elderly and those people with underlying health problems or compromised immune systems.

 QEvidence suggests that the COVID-19 may have originated from animals. Do I need to avoid live animals locally, including my pets? 

 No. MOH’s advice is meant primarily for members of the public who are overseas or planning to travel overseas, and may come into contact with live animals, poultry and birds. Currently, there is no evidence of animal-to-human transmission in Singapore. Hence, there is no known risk of people being infected by COVID-19 through their pets or other animals.

 QIs the virus found in animals locally? 

 NParks has biosurveillance programmes to quickly detect animal diseases, including COVID-2019. So far, we have not detected it in animals in Singapore.


If I defer my travel, will travel insurance cover my trip cancellation, postponement of flight tickets and hotels? How do I go about seeking refund?


You are advised to check with your respective travel insurance providers for information on coverage and compensation.


How are the frontline workers, e.g., airline staff, healthcare workers, checkpoint staff, protected, to make sure that they do not get sick and spread the diseases?


Employees working in the various sectors would have received sector-specific advisories, which include measures and precautionary measures that employees and employers can take. 

Please refer to the sector-specific advisories for more details.

On Masks and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Please click here for more FAQs on Masks (e.g. mask distribution, supplies and stockpiling).  


Who should wear a mask?  Why is the Government changing its guidance now? 


The Government's recommendation on the use of masks thus far has been based on scientific advice and guidelines from the World Health Organisation (WHO), and that is for individuals to wear surgical masks only when sick, in order to protect others. 

The WHO has since found some evidence that infected people who do not show any symptoms may infect others. As such, the WHO is reviewing its guidelines on mask usage. The situation in Singapore is also changing, with increased local transmission and a possibility of some undetected cases in the community.

Given these changed circumstances, we have updated our guidance. The general public is advised to stay at home and avoid interactions with anyone other than immediate family members living in the same household. For those who need to go out, and are unable to avoid close contact with others, then wearing a mask could provide some protection. Reusable masks can be considered for this purpose, to provide some basic protection. This is because there is currently a global shortage of surgical masks, and we need to conserve these masks for those who need them most, i.e. our healthcare workers.


Will the Government be issuing masks for public?


Earlier in February 2020, the Government distributed a pack of four masks to each household. These masks are to be used when you are sick and need to see a doctor.

We are heartened that residents were mindful and only collected the masks if their family needed them. 

In line with our new guidance, we will distribute reusable masks to all residents with registered home addresses. The distribution will take place progressively from 5 to 12 April 2020, from collection points at designated Community Clubs/Centres (CCs) and Residents' Committee (RC) Centres. Family/household members will be able to collect on behalf of their other household members.

Please visit www.maskgowhere.gov.sg for details of the collection.


Why are SCDF medical crews seen to be wearing personal protective equipment when responding to emergencies?

SCDF may implement precautionary measures to provide protection for its ambulance medical crews when dealing with emerging infectious diseases. With the DORSCON level being raised to orange, ambulance medical crews will don personal protective equipment (masks, gloves, gowns, caps and goggles) when responding to all cases. 

These are precautionary measures, and not confirmation of a case of COVID-19.


Why do healthcare professionals use an N95 mask and don full personal protective equipment (PPE), including goggles, then?


When dealing with infectious diseases, healthcare workers are required to wear the personal protective equipment (PPE), including N95 and goggles, as they are in close contact with patients and their bodily fluids.

As such, the PPE is needed to create a barrier between healthcare workers and the infectious agents from the patients, and to reduce the risk of transmitting micro-organisms from healthcare workers to patient(s).


If Singapore has enough masks, why can’t the Government release more masks from the national stockpile to retailers or distribute to households?


We have sufficient supply of surgical masks available in Singapore, so long as we use them responsibly.

The Government is prioritising the use of the stockpile to ensure that our healthcare workers at the frontline of this battle and the most vulnerable in our society, including those who have fallen ill, are taken care of.

Meanwhile, there is a surge in global demand for masks and uncertainty on whether this infection will be prolonged. Singapore is also not the only country that has been affected by COVID-19. This has resulted in a global shortage of many items such as surgical masks. The Government is working with the retailers to identify new sources of masks and to expedite the shipment of masks and other in-demand items.

COVID-19 Infection Symptoms and Seeking Medical Attention


How long is the incubation period? If somebody travels to cities with confirmed cases, how many days of no-symptoms after the travel, will he/she then be considered clean and disease-free?


Data from cases in China suggests that the incubation period is around 14 days.

Therefore, travellers are advised to monitor their health closely for at least 2 weeks upon return to Singapore. You are advised to seek medical attention promptly if you feel unwell, and to also inform your doctor of your travel history.


I would like to seek medical attention as I have a cough and runny nose and have recently travelled to the countries with confirmed cases of COVID-19. Should I go to the GP or do I have to go to A&E?


If you have recently travelled overseas, and are feeling unwell with a fever, or respiratory symptoms (such as cough, runny nose), please seek medical attention promptly. You can go to any of the Public Health Preparedness Clinics (PHPCs), as well as polyclinics. You may look for a PHPC near you at www.phpc.gov.sg. All cases fulfilling the suspect case definition seen at various healthcare settings will be reported to MOH immediately and referred to hospitals for further assessment and treatment.

Q(New) How do I get tested for COVID-19?  Will I have to pay for it? 

 You will be tested for COVID-19 only if your doctor assesses that there is clinical need to do so, based on your health condition and travel/contact history. If it is deemed that there is the need for you to be tested, your doctor will be able to test you or refer you to a hospital for the test, and you will not be required to pay for the test. Please note that a negative test is possible during the virus incubation period, and does not exclude the possibility that infection is present.

QAre discharged COVID-19 patients infectious?


No. COVID-19 patients in Singapore are discharged only when fully recovered and no longer transmitting the virus.

Prior to discharge, two swab tests at least 24 hours apart are done, using sputum samples, nasal or throat swabs. Doctors may also conduct tests with fecal or urine samples. Tests on consecutive days have to be negative before patients can be discharged. Patients are also given a date for follow-up at the hospital.

Confirmed Cases and Contact Tracing

QCan MOH provide more information about the whereabouts of the confirmed cases? What if I suspect that I have been at the same place as the confirmed cases? What should I do?

Contact tracing will be conducted to identify close contacts of the confirmed cases. 

If you are deemed to be a close contact of a confirmed case, you will be contacted by MOH officials and advised on the measures that you should take. Close contacts are defined as: (i) anyone who had provided care for or has had close physical contact with the patient; (ii) anyone who had stayed at the same place as a confirmed case. The health status of all close contacts will be monitored closely for 14 days from their last exposure to the patient. Those who develop symptoms will be brought to the hospital via a dedicated ambulance for further assessment.

Transient contacts can be described as anyone who had interacted with the confirmed case for short periods of time, such as passing by each other in the corridor or being on the same public transport or in the same public spaces. The risk of infection from transient contact is assessed to be low. 

QMy friend sent me a message to avoid a certain location as there has been a suspected case reported. Should I be concerned?

 There is no need to avoid places where suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been. The risk of infection from transient contact, such as in public places, is low. There is also currently no evidence of widespread sustained community transmission. Members of public are advised to adopt good personal hygiene practices, such as washing your hands frequently with soap, and wearing a mask if you are unwell.

NEA has been liaising closely with, and providing support to, residents and owners of premises, to ensure that the cleaning and disinfection of areas is done in accordance with NEA’s guidelines. For places exposed to confirmed cases, NEA has also been giving advice and supervising the cleaning and disinfection works. In addition, NEA has issued sanitation and hygiene advisories to premises and facilities with high public access like hotels, commercial buildings and F&B outlets, including hawker centres.

Please click here for guidelines on environmental cleaning and disinfection of COVID-19 in non-healthcare premises and in residences.

QI stay near a Government Quarantine Facility. Should I be concerned? 

 Persons served with Quarantine Orders (QO) are required to stay in their designated location at all times within the allocated quarantine period. They will not be allowed to use common facilities within the Government Quarantine Facility (GQF). There will also be no visitors to the QO persons, and food/ necessary supplies will be delivered to them.

There are also security measures in place to ensure compliance to GQF guidelines. Thus, persons served with QO will not able to mingle with the larger population. All staff working at the GQF are also provided with personal protective equipment (PPE). GQFs also undergo rigorous cleansing and hygiene regimes in accordance with MOH and NEA guidelines.

QWhat is a Community Isolation Facility (CIF)? How is this different from the Government Quarantine Facility?

The Community Isolation Facility is modelled after the existing Government Quarantine Facilities, and is managed with a high level of infection control. Patients who are clinically fit for discharge but are still COVID-19 positive will be isolated and safely cared for in this facility until they are tested negative for COVID-19. 
QCan organisations collect, use and disclose personal data (including NRIC/FIN/passport numbers) of visitors to premises for the purposes of contact tracing and other response measures in the event of a COVID-19 case?

 Organisations may collect personal data of visitors to premises for purposes of contact tracing and other response measures in the event of an emergency, such as during the outbreak of the COVID-19.

In the event of a COVID-19 case, data can be collected, used and disclosed without consent to carry out contact tracing and other response measures, pursuant to sections 1(b) of the Second, Third and Fourth Schedules to the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA), as this is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or safety of other individuals.

As organisations may require NRIC/FIN/passport numbers to accurately identify individuals in the event of a COVID-19 case, organisations may collect visitors’ NRIC, FIN or passport numbers for this purpose.

Organisations that collect such personal data must comply with the Data Protection Provisions of the PDPA, such as making reasonable security arrangements to protect the personal data in their possession from unauthorised access or disclosure, and ensuring that the personal data is not used for other purposes without consent or authorisation under the law.

Please click here for more FAQs on PDPA.

QI have received a call from MOH saying that they are contacting me for contact tracing purposes. How do I verify if that is true?

To verify the authenticity of a contact tracing call, you may wish to:

1. Take down the number which the caller is calling from

2. Call MOH’s general hotline at 6325 9220 and provide them the caller’s number

3. If the call is authentic, the contact tracing team will call you back within 30mins to 1 hour.

Please note that MOH will not ask for your financial details when conducting tracing or divulge any details of confirmed cases. We will also not ask you to collect documents from us, unless you have existing business with MOH.

[Updated] Public Health Travel Advisory

Q[Updated 18 Mar] What is the current public health travel advisory? 
 MOH advises Singaporeans to defer all overseas travel.  Please refer to this press release for more information. 
 Q[Updated 24 Mar] What are the current border restrictions for Singapore?

Travel History in the last 14-days in Countries/Regions

For Singapore Residents and Long-Term Pass Holders

For Short-Term Visitors

Hubei province (mainland China) 14-day quarantine Not allowed entry or transit
All other countries (as of 23 Mar 2020, 2359 hours)
14-day Stay-Home Notice

All holders of Work Pass (and their dependants), Long-Term Visit Pass, Student’s Pass, as well as those who have been granted In-Principal Approval for Work Pass and Long-Term Pass must obtained approval from MOM/ICA before they commence their journey to Singapore.
Not allowed entry or transit

 QWhen and how will the travellers be issued Stay-Home Notice?

All travellers who are required to serve the Stay-Home Notice will be issued an official hard-copy notice upon arrival at Singapore’s checkpoints.

 QWhat are the other precautions taken at the borders?
 From 4 Mar 2020, 2359 hours, travellers entering Singapore and exhibiting fever and/or other symptoms of respiratory illness are required to undergo a COVID-19 swab test at the checkpoint.

The COVID-19 swab test kit deployed at checkpoints allows us to test beyond persons who are referred to hospitals, and extend testing to lower-risk symptomatic travellers as an added precautionary measure. The additional testing capability deployed upfront at checkpoints further increases our likelihood of detecting imported cases at the point of entry.

*Travellers who meet the clinical suspect case definition will be conveyed directly to the hospital.

 QWhat if the traveller refuses to undergo testing?
  Singapore Permanent Residents and long-term pass holders who refuse testing may have their immigration facilities and work pass privileges revoked or the validity shortened. All travellers, including Singapore Citizens, who do not comply with the testing or who cannot be contacted subsequently may face penalties and can be prosecuted under the Infectious Diseases Act.

 QWill the Stay-Home Notice be issued retrospectively to all travellers who have returned from the affected countries 14 days before the effective date?

The border restrictions are applicable to all new travellers arriving from the stated effective time and date.


All US/UK returnees from 25 March 2020, 2359 hours will serve their Stay-Home Notice (SHN) in dedicated facilities. If I have returned before that and am currently serving out my SHN in my home, can I apply to be transferred to the dedicated facilities?


Yes, you may wish to apply to be transferred to the dedicated facilities at go.gov/sg/shnhotelneeds

QAll US/UK returnees from 25 March 2020, 2359 hours will serve their Stay-Home Notice (SHN) in dedicated facilities. If I arrive in Singapore after that, can I serve my SHN at home?
 No. All US/UK returnees arriving in Singapore after 25 March 2020, 2359 hours will have to serve their SHN in dedicated facilities provided by the Government. 

Please fill up the form at go.gov/sg/shnhotelneeds so that we can make arrangements for you and your family.

QI came back from countries other than the US/UK, but wish to serve my SHN outside of my home. Where can I do that? Will Government pay for my stay?

If you are looking for alternative accommodation during this period, you may consider the local hotels on this list:go.gov.sg/SGN-shnaccom

The Government will not be paying for your stay. If you have difficulties finding an accommodation to serve your SHN, please register at go.gov.sg/shn-hsg.

[Updated] Leave of Absence (LOA), Stay-Home Notice (SHN) and Quarantine Order (QO)


What is the difference between being issued a Quarantine Order (QO), being under a Leave of Absence (LOA) and being under a Stay-Home Notice (SHN)? 


A QO is a legal order issued to individuals under the Infectious Diseases Act and thus has legal force with severe penalties for non-compliance. A QO is issued to quarantine or isolate an individual who is, or is suspected to be, a carrier of an infectious disease or a contact of a person confirmed to have an infectious disease. This is with the aim of limiting the spread of the virus in the community. Quarantine usually occurs in the home but can also be served in dedicated Government Quarantine Facilities (GQFs) or hospitals, should the individual not have suitable accommodation in Singapore.

A Leave of Absence (LOA) is a precautionary measure. We urge those who are on LOA to be socially responsible and comply with the LOA, to prevent possible transmission of infections. Persons on LOA should remain in their residences as much as possible, minimise having visitors and maintain good records of persons with whom they come into close contact. Persons on LOA may leave their residences for daily necessities or to attend important matters, but they must minimise time spent in public spaces and contact with others.

A Stay-Home Notice (SHN) is stricter than the LOA regime. Those placed on SHN will have to remain in their place of residence at all times, and should not invite visitors to their residence.


I am employed. Does being under a Quarantine Order (QO) utilise my quota for medical leave or hospitalisation leave?


Employees who are served a Quarantine Order (QO) will be deemed to be on paid sick leave. The period of absence from work would be treated as paid hospitalisation leave, as part of the employees’ hospitalisation leave eligibility under their employment contracts or agreements.  

Please refer to this advisory by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).  


What must I do when I am being quarantined? How will it affect my household members?


Those under quarantine are not supposed to come into contact with others in order to avoid the possibility of the spread of virus through person-to-person contact. Hence, those under quarantine will need to be isolated from and cannot physically interact with others living in the same premises.  A home quarantine package with basic necessities will be provided to individuals who have been quarantined.  

You should also monitor your temperature and report your health status at least 3 times a day, and inform your Quarantine Order (QO) Agent if you feel unwell or need any assistance.  

Should your household members display symptoms associated with the virus, they will need to be taken to a hospital and treated as suspect cases.


How will those who are under quarantine orders at home be monitored?


Individuals under quarantine will be monitored by video calls at least three times a day.

Spot checks will be carried out to ensure that they strictly adhere to the conditions under the Isolation / Quarantine Order (QO) during the period specified. If they are found to be non-compliant, the Director of Medical Services may require them to wear an electronic tag or order that they be detained and isolated in a hospital or in any other suitable place. It is an offence if they do not comply with the conditions listed in accordance with the QO.


If I need to go out to attend to urgent matters, what should I do?  What will happen if I break quarantine?


Persons under quarantine must not leave their designated location for any reason. Should they require assistance for daily needs beyond what is provided for under the home quarantine package, they should arrange with their relatives / friends to purchase groceries and assist in their daily needs whenever necessary. If they urgently need to leave their place of isolation / their home for matters needing personal attention which cannot be postponed, they must first seek the permission of the Quarantine Order (QO) Agent.

Spot checks will be carried out to ensure that they strictly adhere to the conditions under the Isolation / Quarantine Order during the period specified. If they are found to be non-compliant, the Director of Medical Services may require them to wear an electronic tag or order that they be detained and isolated in a hospital or in any other suitable place. It is an offence if they do not comply with the conditions listed in accordance with the QO.


I have been in recent contact with someone who has been issued a Quarantine Order (QO). What should I do?


Persons issued with a Quarantine Order are individuals assessed to have had close contact with a confirmed case, and they are generally well and have no symptoms.

We would advise you to monitor your health closely. If you have fever, cough or runny nose, wear a mask and seek medical attention promptly. Call the clinic ahead of your visit and inform the doctor of your symptoms as well as your travel history, if any.


I heard that people who are served a Quarantine Order (QO) will receive $100 a day under the Quarantine Order Allowance (QOA). Is that true?


The Quarantine Order Allowance is set up to mitigate financial impact for those who have been served Quarantine Orders. When they have completed their quarantine order, claims of $100 per day can be made by self-employed Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents, and by Singapore-registered companies whose employees under QO are Singaporean Citizens, Permanent Residents or Workpass Holders.

Please refer to this factsheet for more information. You can also approach your QO agent for further queries.  


I am an employer.  How do I know if my employees have been issued a Quarantine Order (QO)?  How do I apply for the Quarantine Order Allowance (QOA)? 


A Quarantine Order (QO) agent will get in touch with your employee if he/she has been issued a QO.  Your employee should notify you that he/she has been issued a QO. 

You can only apply for the Quarantine Order Allowance (QOA) after your employee has completed the quarantine. The person under quarantine will receive the QOA form at the end of the quarantine and pass it to the employer.  This is to ensure that he/she has fully compiled with the QO, under the Infectious Disease Act. The employer can then submit the form to MOH for processing.  

Please refer to this factsheet for more information.  


If I am unemployed, but under a Quarantine Order (QO), who can I go to for social and financial assistance?


If you are unemployed, but under a Quarantine Order (QO), and need social or financial assistance, please contact your QO agent for further assistance.


What must I do when I am on a Leave of Absence (LOA)? How will this affect my household members?


If you are placed on a Leave of Absence (LOA), you should remain in your place of residence, and monitor your health closely. You should seek medical attention promptly if you feel unwell, and also inform your doctor of your travel history, if any. You are advised to minimise visitors to your residence, and maintain a record of people you come into contact with. You should also avoid crowded places and minimise contact with others.

Please refer to the Health Advisory for Persons Placed on Leave of Absence (LOA) for more details.

It is not necessary for household members to be segregated from the person placed on LOA, and you can continue to share the same room/apartment. But household members are encouraged to reduce interaction and minimise contact with persons placed on LOA.

Please refer to the Advisory for Individuals Sharing Residential Spaces with Persons on Leave of Absence (LOA)

QWhat must I do when I am issued a Stay-Home Notice? How will this affect my household members?


If you are issued  a Stay-Home Notice (SHN), you will have to remain in your place of residence at all times during the 14-day period. This is stricter than the existing LOA regime, which had allowed returnees to leave their home briefly. You should make your own arrangements to procure food and daily necessities. This could include requesting your house and dormitory mates to help procure these for you or ordering home delivery services. We will also provide support for those who need help:

a.      Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents (PRs) may contact the MSF ComCare Hotline at tel: 1800 222 0000.

b.     Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) holders can seek assistance from the People’s Association at tel: 6344 8222.

c.      Students can seek assistance from their schools and institutions, or the Ministry of Education. For pre-schoolers, please contact the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) at tel: 6735 9213.

d.     Those on work passes can seek assistance from their employers or MOM at tel: 6438 5122.

Your household members may continue to live with you and carry on with their daily activities.  However, you and your household members should observe good personal hygiene practices (please refer to the Advisory for Individuals Sharing Residential Spaces with People Issued Stay-Home Notice). If you become unwell, avoid contact with your family members and seek medical attention immediately.  

QIs a doctor’s letter required for employers/ self-employed persons to apply for financial support under the Leave of Absence Support Programme (LOASP) from MOM?


No, a doctor’s letter is not necessary to apply for Leave of Absence Support Programme (LOASP).

Eligible employers and self-employed persons who wish to apply for support under LOASP should submit their application with the required documents at www.mom.gov.sg/loasp.

 QDo I need to go to the doctor to get tested at the end of the 14-day LOA/SHN period, so that I can be cleared to go back to work/school?

 No. Individuals who have ended the 14-day LOA/SHN period without developing any symptoms do not need any certification from a doctor before resuming their normal activities. They will not be offered diagnostic testing. Individuals who are well should NOT be visiting GPs, polyclinics or Emergency Departments to seek a doctor’s letter to return to school or work, as this puts them at unnecessary risk of exposure to others who are unwell.

[NEW] Safe Distancing Measures

QWhen will the "circuit breakers" announced by the MTF on 3 April 2020 be in place, and for how long?

The heightened safe distancing measures will be in place for four weeks (i.e., two incubation cycles) from 7 April to 4 May 2020 (inclusive).

 QDuring this period (7 April to 4 May 2020), what are the services that will remain open to support daily needs?

  • Restaurants, hawker centres, coffeeshops, food courts, and other F&B outlets will remain open only for takeaway or delivery
  • Food suppliers – including food and food ingredient production, food manufacturing, food processing, abbatoirs/slaughterhouses, food caterers, importers and traders, and food logistics, cold stores/warehouses, food safety testing, supermarkets, convenience stores, grocery retailers, wholesale markets and wet markets – will remain open.

  • Retail outlets that provide items and services necessary to support the daily living needs of the population will remain open. This includes supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants, food and beverage outlets, and other outlets offering essential services.

  • The Public Service will be fully operational and government services will be available, but with majority of the public service workforce telecommuting. Physical counter services will be scaled down, with reduced staff manning for safe distancing, but digital services will continue to be available. Residents can continue to use e-services but are advised to defer any non-urgent visits.

  • Essential services like healthcare, social services, financial services, cleaning services, and water, energy, and environment related services will also continue to operate. Other selected services required for daily living (e.g. hairdressers/barbers, lift maintenance, laundry), transport services, and telecommunications services will remain open.

Please refer to https://covid.gobusiness.gov.sg/essentialservices for the latest and most updated list of essential activities that will be allowed to continue to operate.

For further queries for businesses, please call 6898 1800.


With the latest advisory on safe distancing measures, what are some of the activities that will be suspended?

From 7 April 2020, all attractions, theme parks, museum and casinos will be closed. Sports and recreation facilities, such as public swimming pools, country clubs, gyms and fitness studios will also be closed. All recreational facilities in hotels will be closed.

As announced on 24 March, the following activities will continue to be suspended:

Entertainment Venues

  • All bars and entertainment venues including night clubs, discos, cinemas, theatres, and karaoke outlets are to be closed.
  • Activities in food and beverage venues such as live music or karaoke, which are likely to cause patrons to congregate will have to cease.
  • Organised tours in public venues (e.g., sightseeing or guided walking tours) are to be suspended.

For more information on the suspension of public entertainment venues and suspension of events, please click here.

Tuition and Enrichment Classes

  • All centre-based tuition and enrichment classes must be suspended. This is to reduce the intermingling of students from different schools and enhance the safety of other students.

For more information on suspension of centre-based tuition and enrichment, please refer to MOE’s FAQs.

Faith-based Activities

  • All religious services and congregations will be suspended. Places of worship (e.g., temples, mosques, churches) may remain open for private worship and essential rites, subject to group sizes of 10 persons or fewer at any one time.

For more information on MCCY’s advisory on religious activities, please click here.

Events and Mass Gatherings

  • All events and mass gatherings (e.g., conferences, exhibitions, festivals, concerts, sporting events, trade fairs) must be deferred or cancelled, regardless of size.

For more information on safe distancing measures for the general population, please click here.

 Q How will safe distancing be implemented at F&B outlets?
 Tables and seats for different groups of diners must be at least one metre apart. We understand that diners who are already typically in close contact (e.g. family members) may want to be seated close together. As a matter of good discipline, we encourage all persons including families to practise safe distancing and try to adhere to the requirements where practicable.

Groups of diners must be limited to 10 persons or fewer. F&B establishments must disperse congregations of more than 10 persons by splitting the group into separate tables and ensuring a distance of at least 1m between tables.

F&B establishments with fixed seating must mark out seats which should not be used. They must ensure that unrelated diners are seated at least 1m apart from one another.

For more information, please click here

 QCan private events and social gathering (e.g., wake, weddings) go ahead?

There should be no social gatherings. Social contact should be confined to immediate family members living in the same household during this period.

 QWill gyms, swimming pools and fitness studios (e.g., yoga studios) stay open?

No. From 7 April 2020, all sports and recreation facilities, such as public swimming pools, country clubs, gyms and fitness studios will also be closed. All recreational facilities in hotels will be closed.

Members of public who need to exercise should do so on their own, around their immediate neighbourhood in open, uncrowded places. Public parks and open-air stadiums will remain open, but gatherings in groups in these spaces must be avoided. Members of the public should practise safe distancing even in open spaces.

On Public Health Preparedness Clinic (PHPC) Scheme

The Ministry of Health (MOH) is re-activating the Public Health Preparedness Clinics (PHPCs) to focus our primary care efforts to better detect and manage COVID-19 infections.  Please click here for more information from the press release.

From 18 February, the PHPCs, as well as polyclinics, will provide special subsidies for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents diagnosed with respiratory illnesses (e.g. common cold).  Please click here to find a PHPC located near you.  

You may also refer to this link for the FAQs on the PHPC Scheme. 

FAQs for various sectors (e.g. Education, Tourism)

Various ministries and agencies have sector specific FAQs on the COVID-19 situation:
- For Education Sector:  Ministry of Education  (MOE)
- For Employers and Employees:  Ministry of Manpower (MOM)
- For Tourism Sector:  Singapore Tourism Board (STB)
- For Food Industry:  Singapore Food Agency (SFA) 
- For Businesses:  Enterprise Singapore (ESG)