News Highlights

Find speeches, press releases and forum replies. rss icon
Click here for E-Consultation.

07 Nov 2022

4th Nov 2019

Mr Melvin Yong Yik Chye
MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC

Question No. 1485

To ask the Minister for Health (a) in the past three years, how many mid-career professionals have joined the nursing profession through the Healthcare Professional Conversion Programme (PCP); (b) which industries do these mid-career nurses come from; and (c) whether there can be an accelerated Nursing PCP for informal caregivers who have to leave their jobs due to family circumstances and are now looking to return to the workforce.

Written Answer

  1. Professional Conversion Programmes (PCPs) in nursing support mid-career Singaporeans who wish to enter the nursing profession. In the last three years, close to 300 locals underwent such programmes.
  2. About 40% of them were from non-nursing professions in the health and social services sectors. The other 60% come from a wide range of industries, such as manufacturing, finance and public administration.
  3. The PCPs for Registered Nurses at the Diploma and Degree level are accelerated programmes that allow mid-career individuals to complete their training in two years, compared to fresh school leavers who would take three years to do so.

Category: Parliamentary QA